Friday 25 June 2010

News in an odd order of relevance and how it makes my Mum like an alien

There's an excellent episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Well, actually there are over a hundred of them, but I'm thinking of a specific episode, namely A Matter of Honour. It's the one where Riker goes on an officer exchange to a Klingon Bird of Prey. It's brilliant as a great Klingon episode, a great Riker episode and just all round great. Hidden within the Klingon craziness is an officer who exchanges onto the Enterprise, the Benzite Mordock. He works at the science station and spots a bacteria that's eating away at the hull of Enterprise and also the Pagh. He later receives a proper bollocking from Picard for not reporting what he'd found. His reason was that he was completing a full assessment including a solution before making a report, whereas Picard expected an initial report.

I was reminded of this yesterday when my Mum phoned me. She informed me that she would soon be receiving a contact number for one of my Uncles and did I want her to call him and invite him to my wedding? Well considering we'd sent out save the date cards and invites months ago you'd think he'd know, but it seems he's moved house and not told his immediate family. Considering this, I'm not inclined to have anyone waste time chasing him up about it and frankly don't want him there now.

I know, this is still nothing like that episode of TNG is it? Bear with me...

I then enquired as to how she was to come into possession of this number? She said that they'd got it from my wayward uncles 2nd ex wifes mother. Yep, she gets to know where he's moved to! Why these measures to chase his number up now?

'Well your grandmothers not been well this week...'

Right. I love my Mum, but she does have an infuriating habit of leaving the important items till later in the conversation! My grandmother will probably be ok, she's on medication and being observed for the weekend, so once I knew that I looked back on the conversation and was reminded of Mordock. Granted it's not really that similar is it? But I enjoyed the kind of link that my mind sometimes makes. And after the fact I can kind of enjoy my Mum's crazy ideas of which item is appropriate to begin with. Like the time she called me to let me know my brother had been in a car accident. She started telling me the specifics of the crash, the location, angles etc. I had to stop her and ask her if he was ok! He was, it was minor, but you hear 'car crash' and you kind of need it followed up with the medical status! Bless her!

Oh, also my Mum is blue skinned and has a rebreather unit when in an Earth atmosphere...

The rest of my day yesterday was spent working, kissing my girlfriend up and getting excited about this Saturday. The Doctor Who finale is obviously a hugely exciting prospect, I am metaphorically crapping myself with anticipation. Though I can't watch it till sunday, as I'm over at friends on Saturday night watching episodes of Star Trek! Woo! We've all picked an episode each for a 'First Contact' theme. I've made the mad choice of 'The Last Outpost', which is first contact with the Ferengi. Maybe not the best episode ever, but interesting. I've done a powerpoint presentation about the episode to show too. I am possibly the coolest guy ever!

Last night I had a play with my KDE desktop. While I've been using KDE for a couple of months now and been enjoying it, I've not really scraped the surface of what can be done. Now I've got a desktop that shifts wallpapers amongst my Trek based pics, with several semi transparent widgets showing my Twitter feed, RSS feeds, Dinosaur Comics and how long till my wedding. Which is now 70 days. Shit, I better write a speech!

No comments:

Post a Comment