Thursday 24 June 2010

I'm not talking about Politics, but...

Hasn't politics been in everything lately?

I mean, obviously pretty much anything can have politics ascribed to it in some form or another. I mean, in the UK, that Political figures have been all over the place, normally in things I wouldn't expect.

But suddenly they're looking at space!

At least it says so here.

It makes for interesting reading and I like that we look to have some involvement in a space program. I found it pretty interesting that the government may look to change regulations to allow Virgin's SpaceShipTwo to launch from the UK. I'm kinda curious as to what regulations are preventing it. Surely we didn't have some in place just to stop Richard Branson going into space right? Is it the beard? Is there some UK law forbidding bearded people going into space? Can't be, haven't they seen from Commander Riker that beardy guys do well in space?

I recall many a conversation with my old housemate about travelling into space. The upshot was always that I would go if I had the chance. Which is kinda odd, I don't really like to fly. But the opportunity to see my planet from space? Sounds pretty awesome to me. Though it concerns me slightly that Virgin still haven't got the TV service spot on, I still get the occasional flicker or something, but figure they can send people into space. Considering the paranoid panic I had last year on the way home from holiday when, on take off, the plastic front of the seatbelt sign dropped off, I don't know if I'd be a calm astrotourist. I got through the flight, but dear god, I had to watch a Jim Carrey film to keep my mind distracted. (Having gone through my Linux magazine 18 times and watched that animated Doctor Who series through fully twice.)

Still it doesn't look likely to be a big issue anytime soon. The Virgin ships aren't yet doing commercial flights and tickets are $200,000 so not something I'll be doing anytime soon! After all, if I had that sort of cash handy, I'd be building my own Enterprise bridge and travelling through space the safe way. Heck, I can apparently start doing that for a lot less!

Yes, I know how awesome is that wallpaper? And no, I'm not getting some...

No comments:

Post a Comment