Wednesday 31 March 2010

Strange things put me in a good mood

I caught this story on the news this morning and its put me in a good mood today.

Not because I'm hoping to subscribe to sports channels though. As anyone who knows me will attest, I can't tell a tennis stick from a rugby net. And there are some negative points to the story in regards to the investment in certain sports that Sky represent. While football can sometimes seem to have outrageous amounts of money being tossed around in it, it's actually restricted to a minority amount of clubs, with many others struggling to turn profit. And sports like rugby see a lot less currency.

But what really makes me a happy Rickleton about this story is that Sky have been challenged. I don't particularly like Sky, and this is mainly personal reasons, but I don't like them. A lot of it is association, the fact that they're a branch of Rupert Murdoch's empire is my main reasoning, and it associates them with everything I see as wrong with today's media. But now is not the time for that rant!

Now is the time for me to bask in the knowledge that although the PCC won't regulate our tabloid press in any discernible fashion, at least there is a body looking at the current TV market and saying, 'hey, why should people have to go to Sky for all this? What about giving people a bit of choice?' and that gives me a warm feeling. Sky will appeal this decision, and it may be overturned, given the sporting bodies that are backing them. (It's a little disheartening that most of these bodies feel that consumer choice is secondary to the money pouring in, but as I say, there's financial difficulties all around so it might not be as greedy a choice as a measure to preseve some clubs.) If so, then so be it. I'm still not convinced one way or the other as to the the ramifications of the move but the fact that there's been moves made against Sky like this is a good thing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment