Saturday 20 March 2010

Hitler Moustache

Richard Herring came back to Lincoln last week! Yep, despite my previous offers for him to stay at my house, though I was a stranger and the further suggestion that he could use his stay at my house to bum his colleague, he still came back to this city! Which suggests to me that deep down he wants to sodomise Andrew Collins in my spare room. As it were.

However, this visit, he forgot to bring Andrew Collins! He also forgot to stay in my spare room. He pretty much messed up the whole situation for achieving his dream!

Instead of this, he performed his show, ' Hitler Moustache' at the Lincoln Performing Arts Centre. I thought I'd go along for various reasons. Didn't have much to do that night. Richard Herring is fucking hilarious! The LPAC is just down the road from me. He's also very intelligent and raises brilliant points.

My fiancée was somewhat disappointed that Andrew Collins wasn't going to be at this show (she seemed to be quite taken with him when we went to see their live podcast last year) but was still keen to go to the show. I'd found a bit of a discrepancy early in the day with the LPAC website giving the start time as 7 but other sources at 8, so I twitter Mr Herring asking which time it would be. I know, I could have called the venue or something, bothering the performer is probably bad form or something, but bless him he very promptly replied to me, which is nice. The man does appreciate his fans, though I'd already figured that from the fact he replied to my email last year offering him the spare room. He politely replied despite the fact I was clearly some sort of weirdo.

Anyway, we went down to the LPAC. I was pretty excited about this show. I read Mr Herrings blog regularly and it had been quite evident last year just how important this show was to him in terms of the subject matter and how impassioned he was about it.

Hey, you get a free programme! Awesome. It suggests a donation to Scope in return, but it's not compulsory. So I thought, fuck that! Screw that fucking charity, I got a free programme, they can kiss my hairy ass! Not really, I made a donation, it only seemed fair.

So to the actual show! I was a little disappointed by the audience, I'd expected a few more people. The podcast had enjoyed a decent turn out, but this show not so much. Though to be fair, I hadn't been too aware of promotion beyond Mr Herrings own website and podcasts. Stupid Lincoln people, you better not complain that we don't get awesome shows like this anymore cos why would they come to Lincoln if there's no audience?? Also, you missed an awesome show you fucking idiots.

Herring does a brilliant job of covering some very serious subjects without any break in the comedy. I realised I'd been lectured on the importance of using my vote and democracy under the flawless disguise of a great comedy routine. He does a marvellous job of making racism look absolutely ridiculous. I love his reasoning of wearing the moustache to take it back for comedy, Charlie Chaplin had it first and if we always think of it as 'Hitlers Moustache' then Hitler's won! He's taken a symbol of comedy and made it a symbol of evil. There's also the full tale of his life wearing a Hitler Moustache and the anecdotes from his experiences there are fantastic. I am really only just going to gush about it's brilliance, I'm loathe to describe specific lines or stories on the grounds that to be honest, everyone should go and see this show. If you're a terribly lefty woolly liberal like me or somewhat more to the centre then you should love it. If you're a mad rabid right wing racist then it might just make you think. Or feel stupid. Do go see it if it's near you. Or look for the DVD.

And afterwards everyone was given a Hitler Moustache! A little black velcro one! Brilliant. I shall be wearing mine on April 16th to mark Chaplin's birthday. I'm hoping after all the shows done there'll be quite a lot of people doing this.

And Mr Herring is a lovely enough man to sit out in the lobby and autograph programmes and chat to fans, despite the fact he was quite clearly knackered. Though this tours quite gruelling with the travelling so I can't blame him. He signed my programme and I bought a DVD of a previous show from him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment