Friday 12 March 2010

I’ve discovered eBay!

Ok, I seem to be a bit behind everyone on this don’t I? Lotsa people discovered eBay, had a lot of fun with it, got bored and then married, had kids and got old by now! (Previous sentence may contain slight exaggeration.) But you know what? I’m my own man and I’m not jumping on no bandwagons! If I didn’t get into something before it was ‘cool’ then I’m not going to get into it once everyone has! I shall wait until it’s not cool anymore, then get into it! That’s what I did with myspace.

Anyway, enough of this how I’m so cool for not doing things when they’re cool, (there’s a Spock-like logic to that sentence. I would like to believe...) this is about the fun I had when I discovered eBay!

I can’t actually remember how it started. I did create an account a few months back to stick a bid on something my fiancée was selling to try to stimulate further interest. That backfired and I won the item. Ah the unimaginatively written farce that is the ITV sitcom of my life! Anyway, the account sat dormant since then, stirring now and again to deliver some advertising emails to me.

Until last weekend. I don’t now remember what started me looking through eBay that day, but I was doing some searching on some Star Trek items. I quickly became hooked! You can find all sorts of crazy crap on there! There’s old toys from when I was a lad and before that even. Phaser’s, tricorders and communicators. Loads of the VHS tapes. (While I can see the appeal of selling them, I think it’s a tad optimistic that you’ll find many to buy them from you!) I spotted a TNG era communicator badge with sound and phrases! Awesome! I decided to bid.

And there we go. From there the excitement of the auction, combined with the wonder at the masses of stuff! How have I not got drawn into this before?? It’s amazing!

I lost the auction. I just was not prepared to pay silly amounts for this and with an hour to go a flurry of bidding erupted. Ah well, didn’t have one before, so nothing to miss.

Hey, there’s a first season TNG DVD set for five pounds! Brilliant! No bids so I’ll start at five. Hey, there’s only seconds to go and no-one else tried for it! Hey, what? £5.20?? Dammit, I need to outbid! In 3 seconds! Noooooo!!

Apparently I could have pre-set a maximum bid so my bids would automatically have increased against the other guys.

I was hugely disappointed by this turn of events. A last second bid like that swooping in and robbing me of my DVD set. That’s it, my love affair with eBay is over! I came in late, but I’m leaving early! How can I stay around and risk getting hurt like that again??

Anyway, I was browsing eBay last night, and there’s an awfully large amount of comics up there that I wouldn’t mind getting my hands upon...

No comments:

Post a Comment