Friday 2 July 2010

But then time was reversed and it never happened...

As it turns out I rather enjoyed that Enterprise with Archer suffering a memory loss condition. Though all the development and interesting story aspects were ultimately lost when the timeline was reversed. An annoying occurence, I remember being disappointed on Voyager that Year of Hell just never happened. If things had been solved differently it could have been a fascinating thing to carry the series on with Voyager barely held together and the crew dealing with the effects of nearly being blown apart. I’m sure the Doctor could eventually cure Tuvok’s blindness, given his unrealistic skill at curing any other random recently encountered condition. Heck, McCoy once kept a Vulcan alive after his brain was removed, then to follow that miracle, attached a remote control unit to him!

I’m sometimes struck by the futility of railing against Voyagers failings when the shows been off the air for seven years. But not often.

I saw some of the latest and last series of Big Brother this week, and I noted that some of the housemates seem to be wearing a version of the nerd glasses I so admired last weekend. I’m not convinced that it isn’t a non-corrective pair that’s being passed around. It makes me feel better about not getting them!

I took Thursday off from the gym, though I shall be going again on Friday and looking to do something energetic on Saturday too. It’s a more punishing gym schedule than I’ve had before, but I’m feeling motivated and would really love to reach Kyle Rayner weight by my wedding. Which basically works out as two months to lose just under two stone. I don’t think this is unreasonable, I lost 3 stone in just over three months this year. My problem there was I got over-confident and spent the next 3 months bouncing around that weight. But progress has resumed now and I shall go from overweight nerd to skinny nerd!

Of course, in that time I have a stag do to attend and someone else’s wedding. Those will both involve alcohol and food in large quantities. I find it incredibly selfish of the couple getting married to have their wedding mere weeks before mine, thereby impacting on my weight loss. I may raise this point during the ceremony when they ask if anyone has any reasons etc. Actually, that would probably get me thrown out even if they reject my reasoning and still marry, so either way I can still eat healthily! I win! Right up to the point when my lovely fiancĂ© comes home and brutally murders me for embarrassing her and everyone at her friends wedding.

I have almost finished Richard Herring’s book, which I have enjoyed. It seems to be frank, honest, self deprecating and in some ways tragic, but also wittily written and hopeful. Of course, instead of being titled ‘How not to grow up’, he could have called it ‘how to obsess over having a threesome’, which is quite a recurring theme. Though as a nerd I have enough trouble talking to girls one on one, let alone two of them. And yes, I said talking, imagine how much awkward embarrassment there would be trying to bed 2 at once! Actually don’t imagine it, just in case you picture me naked! Wait two more months, then me naked should be a more attractive image! Well, when I say ‘more attractive’, I actually mean ‘slightly less repulsive’.

No comments:

Post a Comment