Monday 18 May 2009

Oh no. Just oh no...

Being a nerd has bought me many moments of happiness. The joy of seeing an awesome sci-fi thing done well, or a much loved film/tv series done in a new way. Spaceships, explosions, robots, all these things are plentiful and wondrous in the world of the nerd.

However, there's the flip side. There's the terror of a beloved series/character/concept being taken and perverted in a terrible way. George Lucas is a prime offender here, and the pain of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is still fresh and will probably never truly fade. No matter how much I try to repress, I am still scarred from Batman and Robin, I assume Indy 4 will always be with me like that too.

Though I don't normally bear grudges, I did wonder if Shia LeBoeuf should have been allowed in Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen after Indy 4. Or if he should ever be allowed to work again, let alone with giant robots. I know, it may seem harsh, but I really think that a man's career should be ended for partaking in that film! This is what a nerd dictatorship would be like...

But on a serious note, I wonder if LeBouef may be cursed? I really enjoyed Transformers and I look forward to Revenge of the Fallen too, but then I saw something. And while it's not going to affect the film so much, I am still shocked and pained by it.

http://tformers.com/transformers-stan-bush-responds-with-new-fan-friendly-version-of-the-touch-video/11524/news.html

I mean, what? Did Stan Bush think the 'The Touch' was so awesomely popular for over 20 years, because we all hoped it'd one day be re-done as a sub par Linkin Park ballad? Is that what he thought we all liked it for???

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for artists playing with their songs and doing a performance that's different to the norm, it's a beautiful feature of live gigs. But they normally do a version that's good. Seriously, what was he thinking?

A good friend of mine had 'The Touch' played at his wedding. At. His. Wedding. This is the affect that song has had on my generation, any re-make of it should really have paid due respect to the feel of the original.

The Touch is also soon to be released as a downloadable track for Guitar Hero, I hope it's going to be the original version, as I can't imagine that if I hear that new one again I shall refrain from putting my guitar controller through the TV!

Right, now I've got that off my chest, I'm going to watch the 80's movie to calm down!

No comments:

Post a Comment