Wednesday 27 May 2009

Cardiff! It's Doctor Who Land!

Just got back from a weekend break in Cardiff. Have stayed in the city before, and a couple of years ago I found myself to be sharing a hotel with some producer types from Doctor Who! I first realised when my girlfriend pointed to a guy behind me in the hotel bar, who had a 'Doctor Who Special Effects Crew' t-shirt on. Then as I listened to other peoples conversations, I became aware that they were talking about Freema Agyeman and Catherine Tate. Now I got quite excited, this was a couple of months after series 3 had ended and series 4 was filming. In fact, Planet of the Ood was being filmed that very week. Cos I saw Tim McInnery was also in the bar! Imagine! Captain Darling himself had been sat right across from me and I hadn't even realised, as he'd had his back to me.

So after this excitement, returning to Cardiff to stay in the same hotel this last weekend did fill me with a certain excitement. Could I see some more Who people?

We checked in on the friday, and later that evening, we walked by the reception desk on our way out for dinner, there was Martha Jones' mother! Checking in!

The following day I was fairly sure we were going to spot John Barrrowman, as we were in Cardiff to see his concert. (My fiancee likes to look at him, so we have to go see him sing. And be in panto. Basically I'm following my fiancee stalking Captain Jack. I'm cool with it as it means she'll always let me watch Torchwood!) But we weren't the only ones with tickets! Several hundred women and their less enthused husbands, but also, who should we spy in a private box waay above us unwashed masses, (actually I showered, but it was a long walk to the arena) but the Doctor himself, David Tennant! Lots of people spotted him and there were many attempts to photograph the distant figures in that box. Sadly the zoom on my camera was not up to the task, you can fuzzily make out a skinny figure with sideburns, but only just. Interestingly enough, he seemed to be accompanied by his girlfriend, which I shall get back to shortly.

For the record, John Barrowman is pretty entertaining, and while his music may not be entirely to my taste, the guys enthusiastic, funny and clearly having a great time, it's kind of infectious. He gladly pointed out Tennant to us all, (David even stood up while the spotlight shone to show him wearing on John Barrowman tour t-shirt) and spotted Kai Owen in the audience too. Brilliant, so Francine Jones, Rhys, Captain Jack, Jenny and the Doctor! In 2 days!

Yep, Jenny. We know David Tennant's been dating his on-screen daughter of late, and it looked a lot like her up there. Blonde. Blonde again, I should say, as all post episode interviews with Georgia Moffett after 'The Doctor's Daughter' showed she was a brunette. But now, as they're finishing filiming on the last special, the last appearence of the 10th doctor, here she is in Cardiff, blonde again. Hm. Not saying it's conclusive, you know women, always changing their hair colour instead of not looking in a box, but my, it's a coincidence!

Ah, with a tiny bit of research, I quickly discover the blonde hair is a recent change, (unless I'm missing a further switch) and I'm pretty much clutching at straws with that as my evidence. I just really want to see Jenny again!

No comments:

Post a Comment