Wednesday 22 July 2009

Come with me if you want to live!!

If you asked me to name my all time favourite films, you’d be treated to a long ramble about whether or not I can count the Star Wars films as one film, as really it’s one long story, and even if I had to choose a favourite, it would change depending on my mood, is it Empire, or am I in a Jedi mood? However, once I finally got over that, and actually started to give you a list, we’d very soon come to The Terminator. I love that movie, it’s one of the understated classics of my lifetime. It’s a movie with everything! 80’s hair, time travel, apocolyptic future, 80’s hair, guns, explosions, 80’s hair, romance, a big killer robot and 80’s hair!

Seriously, is Sarah Connor initially just the epitome of the 80’s? Even that scooter!

So recently, you may have noticed, a fourth film in the Terminator saga came out. And my beloved fiancee expressed an interest in seeing it. I was somewhat surprised, gleefully so, until I realised that Chrisitan Bale was probably the primary motivation for her. Fine, you watch the pretty man, I’ll watch the awesome robots!

However, my lady love is a bit wary of seeing anything part way through a series. Well, I gallantly and selflessly agreed to watch the first three with her to solve this problem! I know, I’m a modern day hero!

So basically, I’m just gushing about how awesome the Terminator films are! Like mega awesome!

I’m most enamoured of the first, I think it’s always going to be the best in my mind. It’s just so much fun! And I find there’s a much greater sense of jeopardy when a human protects an unprepared girl, as opposed to a robot Arnie protecting a prepared boy and his very prepared mother. And mostly it's the first. I cheer when Reese says 'come with me if you want to live!' because I know that's where the line starts. Also, it's a really cool line.

So I was pretty excited by the prospect of a new film. Ok, this one's during the war, so there probably won't be any time travel, and Arnie's not going to be in it but hey, it could still be good.

It really was! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it had helped watching 1&2 through beforehand, so I was in a Terminator mood and I was having an easier time picking up on the little references. Like the T-600 that grabs John near the beginning, the whole sequence looks a lot like Sarah's final fight in the first one. So quite quickly they've drawn me into this film as part of the 'Terminator' world. Then it goes along quite nicely, me and my fiancee both cheered when Kyle Reese first appeared and said 'come with me if you want to live!' (bless her, she's wonderful!) and it's a pretty action packed film. Then John meets the first T-800 model. Shit! That thumping bass theme comes on and fricking Arnie steps out of the door! Not actual Arnie, but bloody 80's Arnie! So he really looks like the T-800 from the first film! And a thrill of excitement shot up my spine! There's 80's Arnie fighting today's Christian Bale!

So, while it's not the brilliance of the first two films, it's still really bloody good! For the record, I do like 3 a lot too, there literally wasn't time to watch it before I went on holiday and I had to watch Salvation before then or it would finish it's cinema run.

No comments:

Post a Comment